The Canadian Institute of Food Science and Technology (CIFST) represents a network of food science professionals from government, academia and industry within the food and beverage sector across Canada with Sections in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic provinces.
Over the past year, CIFST’s Board of Directors has been working diligently to revitalize the association by streamlining administrative expenses and committees, creating new membership options for industry and students, undergoing strategic planning, and launching a new website – all to build value into membership.
Some of the benefits being launched in 2018 include:
- A new Value-added Chain initiative that will bring resources to small-to-medium enterprises (SMEs) to help drive products through the value chain into the grocery retail and food service sectors;
- An e-learning HACCP and Food Safety Certificate Program through a strategic partnership (with discounted rates) to build greater training capacity for members;
- A series of webinars that will bring scientific and business topics/issues to the forefront;
- The re-launching of Canadian Food Insights, providing scientific review articles to members on important topic areas facing the sector in Canada;
- A commitment to an annual National Conference as a place to network and get exposure to emerging science and innovations;
- A new Mentorship Program, aimed to better support youth entering the workforce;
- An annual National Food Product Development Competition designed to showcase students and their product innovations from classrooms across the country;
- And much more!
These new benefits complement CIFST’s existing programs which include: Section-led networking events, industry expos and technical sessions across Canada; Directions, our e-newsletter highlighting industry news from the sector; the CIFST Awards Program; an IFT-CIFST joint membership option; our Employment database; and Food for Thought, CIFST’s exclusive, members-only e-newsletter highlighting the Institute’s activities.